Living By Faith Blog

Icon

Biblical, battle-tested, real-life help for "living by faith in the Son of God" (Galatians 2:20). — Steve Fuller

“Come To Me All Who Are Weary” (How Jesus Gives Rest)

Come to me all who are wearyWeary and heavy-laden

I’ve been there.  You have, too.

You have too much on your plate — and feel overwhelmed.

You face impossible problems — and feel hopeless.

You’ve experienced setbacks, disappointments, discouragements — and are exhausted.

Weary and heavy-laden.

What do we usually do?

• There’s NCIS on TV.
  • There’s calling someone and complaining.
  • There’s pumping yourself up with positive self-talk.
  • There’s finding something comforting in the fridge.
  • And of course there’s always pity-parties.

But why not listen to Jesus?

Matthew 11:28-29

Every time we feel weary and heavy-laden, Jesus says —

Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  (Matt 11:28 NASV)

This is a promise for ALL who are weary and heavy laden.

That includes me.  And you.

But to avoid having this promise become an empty cliche — let’s dig deeper.

What rest does Jesus promise?

Notice — this rest comes from taking His yoke and learning from Him —

Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and LEARN from Me.  (Matt 11:28)

So the yoke is a picture of learning from Jesus.

Learning what?

What will Jesus teach us that will bring us rest?

Read what Jesus said right before his invitation to the weary —

… no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. (Matt 11:27)

Sin blinds us to knowledge of God the Father.  But in great mercy, through the Cross and the Spirit — Jesus reveals the Father to us.

Then in v.28 Jesus continues the theme of us learning from Him —

Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me.  (Matt 11:28)

What will we learn from Jesus?  It’s what He said in v.27 — He will reveal the Father to us.

Jesus gives us rest by revealing the Father to us.

How does this give rest?

Imagine carrying a 100-pound backpack on a dirt road stretching up a steep mountain for miles.

You are trudging along looking at your feet, watching the sweat drip off your nose into the dust.

Weary and heavy-laden.

But imagine that you hear someone shouting —

Excuse me!  Look up!  Look ahead!

And as you look up the road you see a jeep in front of you — with someone inviting you to hop in so they can drive you to the top.

Changes everything.

Weariness disappears.  Strength rises.  You feel rest.

That’s what Jesus does

Jesus overcomes our weariness by showing us the Father.

We are weary with too much to do — but Jesus shows us that the Father will give us the grace to do whatever He calls us to do (2Cor 9:8).

We face tough decisions — but Jesus shows us that the Father will give us all the wisdom we need for every decision we face (James 1;5).

We are exhausted by setbacks — but Jesus shows us the Father’s all-satisfying presence (Psa 63:5-6) — and that He has had a wise and loving purpose for every setback (Jer 29:11).

But how does Jesus do this?

In v.27 Jesus said He “reveals” the Father to us.

That word shows this involves a supernatural, Holy-Spirit, heart-changing work.

So how do we experience this?

Here is what I’ve found helpful —

• Come to Jesus just as I am — in my weariness and discouragement — and trust that He will help me.
  • Confess to Him that I’m not seeing the Father’s love, promises, goodness — all I’m seeing is my problems.
  • Ask Jesus to reveal the Father to me — to do His supernatural, Holy-Spirit, heart-changing work in me.
  • Pray over specific verses showing who the Father is — like 2Cor 9:8; James 1:5; Phil 4:13; Phil 4:19; Psa 50:15.
  • Keep praying over those verses — and asking for Jesus’ heart-changing work — until I feel my faith rise and I see and feel and trust all that the Father promises to be to me — and I feel rest coming upon me.

Rest — guaranteed

I don’t want to sound flippant.  But it’s true.

We never again need to lack rest.

Because — if we will come to Jesus and have Him reveal the Father to us — we will always find the rest we need.

He promises.

Thoughts?  Feedback?  Comments?

I’d love to hear them — leave a reply below.  Thanks.

If you know someone who is feeling weary — email this to them using the “share” button below (or share it with friends on Facebook or whatever).   Spread the good news!

If you would like to receive a Saturday email summarizing the week’s posts — subscribe here.  (I will only use your email address for Living By Faith Blog communications — and you can easily unsubscribe at any time.)

And here’s some related posts you might find helpful —

(Picture is from everystockphoto by mzacha.)

Category: Finding Peace and Joy, God's Promises, Miscellaneous, Motivation for Obedience

Tagged:

14 Responses

1. Bruce says:

Thank you! After yesterday, the perfect word for today.

2. Louise says:

Another thing that helps me – which follows from your thoughts, too – is to just stop “trying.”. I’m usually tired because I’ve been working really hard in my own strength. Exhaustion is a good reminder that when we stop striving,, God will fight for us (e.g., Ex 14:14).

3. Natasha Kay says:

Great word for me to read after this past week!

So what about that heavy-laden weariness that comes from a straight-up demonic attack? It doesn’t really fall into your other categories but I think it’s more prevalent then we like to acknowledge in today’s “politically correct” churches (who cringe at the idea of preaching about spiritual warfare).

We know that Satan doesn’t want us to achieve anything good with our lives and although I believe his resources are limited, he will choose specific times to throw everything he’s got at us. But just like your other examples, the response to a weariness from oppression is the same process — we seek Jesus in our Word and through prayer. To put the icing on the cake, we rebuke the attack itself and rejoice that the Devil has to flee when we do.

4. Karen says:

It’s a great word. It really helped me a lot, especially right now that I have a problem. Sometimes God is giving us problems to remember Him and to focus more on necessary things. I believe in God and having my FAITH in Him completely.

Guys I need prayers. My problem is too personal so I can’t share it but I believe that God knows what’s in our hearts.

Thank you so much and God bless us.

5. lorrainekashdan says:

I don’t know. I’m a single parent with M.E.,bipolar, constant pain & illness, I’ve been aspergers all my life so even after healing I struggle to make sense of everything. I’m raising two children alone, one of whom is autistic & profoundly learning disabled. I never stop leaning on him day & night, day and night – he is the only reason, the only reason we got so far…but I’m tired to the bone, the tiredness never ends, it’s right inside. Is it wrong to give up & say you need more?!I need more. My kids need more. We can’t live like this. I pray more rest than I can handle enters my life real soon. Sometimes it feels like the only rest I’m ever gonna get is in heaven.

• Steve Fuller says:

Thank you for sharing your story, Lorraine. And you raise some important questions.

There is an important sense in which we will not find rest until heaven — rest from physical problems, emotional battles, and spiritual temptations.

But we will also have times in this life when God provides outpourings of His Spirit as we pray over His promises. This can bring genuine joy, peace, hope, and fulness in Christ Himself — and provides rest in the midst of the battles.

In Christ,

Steve Fuller

6. Stephen Povey-Jones says:

and feelings on JESUS’S words. Thanks again. x

7. thabo says:

i am a brother and i trust god but sense i become born again things dnt go well like i lost many things and i think that things doesnt work for me

8. Debbie says:

Karen, God doesn’t give us problems. That’s in the job description of Satan. God will allow problems to teach us to mature and grow up spiritually for our own good so we can eat spiritual meat and not stay in diapers and endure only milk. Please look at Matthew 7:9 and Luke 11:13. Do you really think if you asked a good earthly father for bread he’d give you a stone? How much better your heavenly Father will treat you! God is good ALL THE TIME. God is in charge. He isn’t in control. If He were in control THEN you could blame Him for all bad things that happen. We have to open our mouths and agree with God. If we don’t know the promises God has given us we can’t ask properly and then we have problems. He works hand in hand with us and we get what we say! It’s a spiritual law.

• Steve Fuller says:

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with Karen.

But I do not think it is helpful, or biblical, to say that if we speak God’s promises, we will always get what we say.

The reason I say that is because of what happened when Paul prayed that God would remove his thorn in the flesh (2 Corinthians 12). Three times Paul prayed earnestly, and God chose not to remove it, because in this case Paul would experience even more of God’s grace and strength than if the thorn had been removed.

There are times when God purposefully allows trials to come into our lives because through the trial we will have the even greater joy of knowing Christ more deeply. That’s what I see taught in Romans 5, James 1, and 1 Peter 1.

But again, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

In Christ,

Steve Fuller

9. Liz says:

I was heavy hearted and after Ijust finished praying to God to give me rest – I found your article. I’m amazed at God’s ways of answering our prayers. I’m now carrying his light yoke. Great article God bless you!

10. Emma Cross says:

I woke up at 2:00 a.m. this morning and I heard the Spirit of the Lord say to me, Come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest.” I came straight to my computer and I found this. I believe it was not only for me; but for all those whom I loved dearly on this earth. I decided then I would pass it on to all my face book friends and to all my family and dear friends.

PS. I believe God did a supernatural thing tonight when I came upon you site. I praise God with all my heart, with all my mind and with all my strength.