Living By Faith Blog

Icon

Biblical, battle-tested, real-life help for "living by faith in the Son of God" (Galatians 2:20). — Steve Fuller

Don’t settle for just knowing the truth — FEEL the truth (a 4-min video)

This may be simplistic …

But it seems there are two extremes in churches today –

Some emphasize knowing the truth of God’s Word.

Others emphasize experiencing the Holy Spirit.

But don’t these belong together?

Here’s a 4-minute video in which I describe how this works.

YouTube Preview Image

Scriptures to help you –

You’ll end up developing your own list of favorites.

But here’s some that I have found powerful –

• The 12-year old Jesus wowing the Scribes and Pharisees with his answers (Luke 2:46-47).
  • The compassion of Jesus as he heals a woman who had been doubled-over by a spirit for 18 years (Luke 13:10-13).
  • The love of Jesus as He welcomes children (Matthew 19:13-15).
  • Jesus’ zeal for the Father’s glory as he overturns the money-changer’s tables (John 2:14-17).
  • Jesus crying out “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mark 15:34).

How did this impact you?

I’d love to hear — feel free to leave a reply below.  Thanks.

Do you know someone who would be helped by this?  Email it to them with the “share” button below — or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+.

If you would like to receive a Saturday email summarizing the previous week’s posts, subscribe here.  (I am committed to protecting the privacy of your email address.)

Here’s more resources on the work of the Holy Spirit –

(Picture by nkzs on stockxchng.)

Category: The Work of the Spirit, Videos to Strengthen Faith

Tagged:

11 Responses

1. Bill Schuler says:

Wonderful Steve. I pray that the Holy Spirit will anoint this so that people will not only hear this life giving truth, but will ache for more of Jesus. That happened to me yesterday out of the blue. I suddenly became aware of how yucky my heart was, and went to my knees to plead for God to change my heart, (as if someone were praying for me.) I began to ache for Jesus. A warmth came over me as I continued over and over to ask God to change my heart, and how wonderfully He did. Just like you said, I had more love for Jesus, more love for other people,temptations lost thier power, and I shared my faith twice that day!Sadly these words do not do the experience justice. But oh how I wish I could experience that everyday! By the way I LOVE seeing you on youtube!

• Steve Fuller says:

Hi Bill –

It brings me great joy to hear of what God did in your heart — what a great and merciful God we have. And I love your description of what happened as a result.

Thank you for sharing your encouraging story.

I join you in praying that this will cause all of us to ache for more of Jesus.

And thanks for your encouragement about the YouTube venture — another way to get the word out!

Your friend and brother,

Steve

2. Susanne Schuberth (Germany) says:

Bill,

What a wonderful experience with God you are sharing here. Congratulations! I’m really rejoicing with you. :)

Susanne

————————————————-

Steve,

Sorry for “precommenting” your reply, but I couldn’t hold my horses due to Bill’s inspiring story. And he is absolutely right – youtube and you are fitting perfectly together.

• Steve Fuller says:

Hi Susanne,

I love that Bill’s story stirred you to have to comment immediately. I loved his story as well. So encouraging.

And I do appreciate the feedback regarding YouTube — it is helpful to hear that it’s working.

May the Father richly bless you today –

Steve

3. Cindy Garcia says:

Thank you Steve!
    Ethan has been fasting one day each week as we lead up to Easter and this was one of the things I’ve been praying and trying to talk w/him about: Not just knowing about Jesus, but feeling Jesus. I can’t wait to show him the video.
    Cindy

• Steve Fuller says:

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Ethan is fasting one day a week — that’s powerful. I love how you and Joe are parenting your boys.

How wise and good to talk with Ethan about knowing AND feeling the truth of Jesus.

I pray that your time watching the video with him will be fruitful and powerful.

Onward!

Steve

4. Gilbert says:

Dear Steve.This is brother Gil, although I am reply ing a year later, you could not have hit the nail on the head an more accurateley about the two extremiteys of the church of today.Emphisizing knowing the truth of Gods word without empisizing the experience of the Holy Spirit is not good.Also emphasizing the Holy Spirit without the pure truth of Gods word is also not good.But the two put together would put the word of God in great affect.Please take these words for thought and check them out according to scripture.According to one who has been filled with the Holy Spirit walk in the spirit as much as I can faithfully can check and see if 7th day sabbath keeping and walking in the Holy Spirit coincide it seems to say that we enter his rest as we try by faith to keep the 7th day sabbath holy Heb 3+4 I the Adventist got that part right but threw the baby out with the bath water when the teaching of the person of the Holy and his power because they resist the power thereof and now become a form of religion but never the less the 7th day sabbath truth with the power of the Holy Spirit is a unique and precios way to walk closer with our Lord and savior Jesus Christ,try and it out for 2 or 3 weeks and see if I am correct,Bother Gil.

• Steve Fuller says:

Hi Gilbert,

I’m so glad you found this video helpful — and thank you for letting me know.

Thanks also for sharing your thoughts about the 7th-day Sabbath. I am persuaded that the New Testament teaches that Jesus changed the Old Testament Sabbath teaching such that the early church worshiped Him as resurrected Lord on the first day of the week — the day He rose.

But I appreciate the spirit in which you wrote, and am glad we are brothers in Christ.

In Him,

Steve Fuller

5. Susan Moore says:

Steve, your blog is a comfort in this alien jungle.
    I think I finally heard in your words what causes me so much anguish -the church who believes they have head knowledge of The Word, yet is resistant to gaining experiential knowledge of His Spirit. For is it not the Spirit who interprets scripture to us so that it makes sense to our human spirits? And is not scripture clear the He is a living being who desires intimate relationships with us? I do not trust the Biblical interpretations of any Christians who say they know the Truth, unless they also know and seek the Spirit of the Truth.
    On another note, when I have felt distant towards my Lord, I have found it helpful to start thanking Him from my heart. That leads to praising Him, and before I know it, I’m back in His arms.
    Thanks,
    Susan

• Steve Fuller says:

Hi Susan,

I agree — it’s crucial that we experience the work of Holy Spirit. The Word itself teaches that the Holy Spirit enables us to see and feel the truths which are taught clearly in God’s Word. By the work of the Spirit we can meet the Living Jesus in the truth of God’s Word.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

In Christ,

Steve Fuller

6. Beverly says:

Hey steve…..I am so grateful to GOD. when I feel lost and hopeless he always leads me back to your site! I belive what your saying…so many of us are are trying walk this christian life with our heads only. We tend to forget that’s its only by and through GODSprecious HOLY SPIRIT CAN WE walk, and understand, and see JESUS! Jesus has to be tevealed to us through Holy Spirit everyday! Becoming dependant on his Grace through his Holy Spirit is what’s truly needed! Thanks steve I am going to do everything you said today…..I am tired of reading and meditating on GODS word and not feeling the truth.